The best tools to keeping relative humidity at ideal levels in your home year-round are whole-home humidifiers and dehumidifiers. These systems automatically work with your home’s heating and cooling systems to add or remove moisture from the air. Utilize a humidifier in winter months when air is naturally drier, and a dehumidifier in the summer when air naturally carries more moisture.
The ideal indoor humidity level is between 30 – 50%. Proper management of indoor humidity levels has several positive effects. If you implement solutions to keep you home in the right range, you’ll have these benefits:
- Improve personal comfort.
- Control moisture that can damage your home’s wood, paint, and siding.
- Prevent mildew growth and odors in clothing and belongings.
- Improve indoor air quality by reducing dust mites, mold, and other allergens.
- Reduce pest infestations.
- Improve the energy efficiency of your air conditioner.